Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring is Here!

The robins are out in force around my house.  Now, that might have something to do with the fact that it has been raining off and on for 10 days and there are more big, juicy worms lying on the sidewalks than the birds can even find time to eat.  But, I'm choosing to ignore that fact, and focus on the fact that the robins are here, which in my mind means one thing.  Spring!  Granted, our first winter in Boise was not all that terrible.  It snows now and then, but then the sun comes out and melts it all.  It's cold, but not so foggy that you can't see 10 feet in front of you.  My kids did get a snow day, although they were slightly disappointed to discover only about 8 inches of the white stuff in the front yard.  (They have lived in Utah up until now, after all.  They were expecting feet of snow if the schools were closed.)  Even so, I always love when the winter starts fading and we realize that spring is just around the corner.  It kind of feels like a new beginning; a clean slate.  It is actually easier for me to make "resolutions" as spring time is blossoming than in January when we're in the thick of winter.  There is so much new life around that it helps me believe that there are things in my life that can be new also.  I can forgive someone who has hurt me.  I can forgive myself for the mistakes I have made.  I can wake up every morning and make the choice to have a positive attitude and look for the good around me.  I can believe that Jesus Christ loves and cares about me, even (and especially) during hard times.  I can love someone a little more.  I can judge someone a little less.  I can stop for a moment and watch the robins out my window.  You get the idea.
So, Happy Spring!  Take some time to enjoy the new season of the year, and look for one way to make a part of your life new as well.  Oh, and watch out for all those worms on the sidewalk.  If you squish some as you back out of the driveway, the children in your life (whether your own or the neighbors') will never let you hear the end of it! 

No comments: