Friday, April 1, 2011

The Little Things

Before I start, I want to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who has become a Follower of my blog.  Please keep sharing with your friends, and if you haven't already clicked the Follow button, please do!  It is really helpful to me as I am beginning to work with my publisher, Cedar Fort, on marketing for my book, Delivering Hope (which will now be released in February 2012 - we're all hoping this is the last change).  They want me to get as many followers as possible...my initial goal is a minimum of 200.  So, every follower helps!  Thanks for your support!

So, I just finished loading my dishwasher for the first time in two weeks.  It's been having some electrical problems (where's my father-in-law when I really need him?  Oh yeah, 10 hours away) and I've had the handyman out 3 times trying to fix it with some part or other.  He finally found the root of the problem today (a faulty wire running from the disposal to the dishwasher) and got it repaired.  Yay!  Now, I know that a dishwasher isn't a necessity.  We didn't have one growing up until I was around 11, and the first 3 places that my husband and I lived after we were married did not have dishwashers and we survived just fine.  That being said, I'm not ashamed to admit that over the last 9 years or so, I've gotten very accustomed to tossing everything into the 'magical' washer next to my sink and letting it do the dirty work.

But, for the past two weeks, I've been rolling up my sleeves (literally) and diving in with both hands.  My children have been fairly helpful with this new chore...sometimes they've been more 'help' than I really need because when they get finished, the entire counter, window, and floor are covered in hot sudsy water.  Oh well, it's kept everything nice and clean, and it hasn't really been that bad, thanks to paper plates.  Anyway, being without this little luxury for a few weeks has really made me appreciate all of the little things that I take for granted that make my life just that much easier.  Dishwasher, washing machine, furnace that I don't have to haul wood in for, water heater, running water, a dvd player that's built right into my trailblazer, redbox...you get the idea.

So, in a world where nothing goes the way we plan, and all too often we find ourselves frustrated over the small (and sometimes very large) roadblocks that we encounter, today I'm reserving a smile for my dishwasher.  I'm glad you're back!

No comments: